1) We’ll be holding our annual Dessert Banquet FOUR weeks from today. It will take place Tuesday, November 27 at 7pm in the Messiah’s House Fellowship Hall. Childcare will be provided. Mark your calendars now. Invitations will go out to our mailing list next week. If you’re not on our mailing list, email me (email@example.com) or comment below and I’ll make sure you get your invite. There are a couple of really cool new opportunities on the horizon for Mission 2540. We’ll be sharing about them at the banquet, so please plan on coming!
2) It’s the beginning of November, and that means it’s time to start up our Christmas Outreach (crazy how fast time goes by!) Last year we did bikes, which was a lot of fun. Hopefully those last the kids another year or two. This year, we’ll be doing things a bit like in years past, but with a slight twist. We’re going to make the outreach open only to those kids and families who are a part of our weekly activities (approximately 75). We’re going to ask the parents/guardians of our kids this question: “If you had an extra $75 to spend on each of your kids for Christmas, what would you buy them? It could be anything clothing, toys, shoes – you name it. It could be more than one item – as long as the total is no more than $75. What would you choose?” Mission 2540 will then shop, purchase, and wrap the gifts on their wish list. Like we did with the school supplies, we’re then asking parents to partner with us and make an investment of $5 per child to purchase their gifts from us. (We’ll then use that money to assist with next year’s outreach). We’ll set up a “shop” at the apartment complex a week or so before Christmas and they’ll come get the gifts from us. This is both a great way to bless families who are struggling this time of year while at the same time giving them ownership in the process of providing their children with gifts.
To pull this off, we need your help! There are three ways you can play a part:
1) You can purchase the gifts for a child (or two or family). Once I have all the lists together (hopefully before Thanksgiving), I will send you the name and needs, wants, sizes, etc. You’ll go out and purchase and wrap the gifts. Again, the limit per child will be $75.
2) Donate money to Mission 2540 designated “Christmas Outreach.” Mail to PO Box 20771, Amarillo 79114. $75 will cover one child, but if that’s more than you can give, give half the amount toward the child. We’ll take the money that’s donated and go shopping for the gifts. Which brings us to…
3) If you like to shop, we’ll be happy to let you head out and shop for however many kids you desire. We’ll get you the list and the money, and you can help us out in a huge by purchasing and wrapping a bunch of presents for us.
So that’s the plan. I’m excited to see how it all comes together and what kind of response we get from the families. I think it will be a really good thing for both the kids and their parents. I do know that we can’t pull this off without your help – so please pray and think on what role you can play.
If you have questions about any of this, please email me or coment below and ask away. I hope to see you at the banquet!